Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Phase 1 on the Ultimate Reset Journey

I did it. I made it through week 1. I honestly can't believe I did it but I tell you the feeling you get when you stick to something 100% is pretty great, no matter the results!

For those of you that haven't been following my Instagram (I have been documenting my daily meals there), I wanted to give you a sneak peak into what Week 1 on the Ultimate Reset is like!

WHAT IS THE ULTIMATE RESET? 
Beachbody Ultimate Reset is a unique program that helps support digestive and overall health, energy and mood. It also helps active individuals get even more out of their workouts because it helps restore the body and makes it more efficient. Its an all-natural alternative to harsh "cleanses" and starvation diets that helps return your body to optimal health—naturally. You eat REAL food. This is not a cleanse or liquid diet. 

WHO SHOULD DO THE RESET?
Anyone can do the reset anytime however its recommended 1-2 times a year. For me personally, I wanted to reset my habits with food but also dial in on my nutrition to help me understand better my relationship with food.  You can learn more about it here. The reset takes some planning and some time so make sure that you have a strong why when you start.


GETTING STARTED:
First there is the prep. There are menus online where you repeat the same meals 3 X a week but my first week I wanted to stick to the plan 100%. So I printed out the grocery list (thankfully that was provided and easy to interpret and went to work. 


Because I work full time I did most of my food prep on Saturday and Sunday and prepped enough meals from breakfast, lunch and dinner through Friday. That way during the week I could just grab and go.  Here is a great meal plan for week 1.



WHAT TO EXPECT:
The first week you eat a lot of vegetables, protein and healthy carbs. Think oatmeal, lentils, rice, quinoa, fresh veggies, eggs, salmon etc. The only food groups that are removed the first week is red meat and dairy.  (There is a vegetarian / vegan option as well). 

Breakfast consists of something like this...Oats with cinnamon, plain Greek yogurt and raspberries.


Lunch consists of something like this...A mixed green salad with homemade dressing and then some sort of rice or quinoa pilaf with lots of veggies.


Dinners consist of something like this....Black bean and rice tacos with avocado and cucumber salsa.


Overall I did really pretty well the first week, but the first 1-2 days were hard. You also cannot have caffeine. My #1 tip of getting through the first week is to cut back caffeine prior to starting. After 2 days however I felt really good. Here are a few changes I have noticed: 

-->My energy levels are crazy consistent. 
--> I wake up wide awake and sleep very soundly
--> No headaches. None. 
--> All allergies are gone (i.e. crusty eyes in the morning, sniffles etc.)
--> I am not hungry. 
--> I don't think about food all the time. (This is big for me)

TIPS FOR SURVIVING WEEK 1:
My tips for surviving week 1 are the following....

-->Plan ahead.
Give yourself at least 2-4 days to prep and really understand the program.  If you drink Shakeology you also need to switch it to the vegan version. Shakeology is not required on the program however I will say a chocolate smoothie is sort of the best part of my day. I also bought ALOT of decaf tea. Everything from peppermint to vanilla roobios to chai. 

-->Drink the recommended water.
This helps tremendously with cravings and hunger. And it makes you feel better!

-->Stop or lessen your caffeine the week before.
Do not skip this. It will make your first week MUCH easier.

-->Have a support system.
There are days that will be hard. And days where you will want to give up and not prep and just throw in the towel. Setting up a support system and understanding your why is key.  I personally also scheduled a yoga workshop during this time to help me relax. 

-->Plan your activity.
It is recommended to do light activity on the reset. For me this is a big change so I am doing a 21 day yoga program. Plan your walks, yoga, hiking etc. so that you have something to look forward to. Getting outside, meditation etc. are all great things to reconnect with your body. 


As we head into week 2 I will be transitioning to a fully vegan meal plan. Stay tuned for more details!


1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great diet and health plan that you have suggested. You are right to suggest that it is impossible to be healthy and fit unless you clean up your body from the inside first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. As a reminder, all opinions on this site are my own.