Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Top 3 Quick Tips to make Meal Planning FAST!

Meal planning is probably the #1 question I get as a coach. It is also the #1 thing I do that promises results no matter how busy my schedule. Because nutrition is 80% of the equation. These are my top 3 QUICK TIPS to make meal planning FAST! Use this as a checklist each week as you plan!


#1 - WRITE IT DOWN AND KEEP IT SIMPLE
Sounds simple, but in the beginning, I was intimidated by all these pretty Pinterest plans, fancy planner pages and more. I am the most successful when I keep it simple and write it down. I am also the most successful when I plan a week at a time. I tuck this template into my planner for the week and I am ready to go. 

I start with what days I need meals for (i.e. do you have lunches or dinners out planned?) I fill those in.  Then I fill in all the dinners (because they take the most time to think about) and then lunches and breakfasts. I tend to repeat a lot of lunches and breakfasts so I can make the week EASY!


You can download my meal planning template HERE

#2 - HAVE YOUR RESOURCES READY
Ever sit down to make your grocery list and think, ugh, I have NO idea what to make for dinner?!?! My best time saver is to have my resources ready. I save links from blogs on my phone or in my email and pull out my favorite cookbooks. The recipes from this week's plan are from Damn Delicious.  No need to recreate the wheel! :) 

--> Pork Chops and Asparagus (we substitute green beans because no one eats asparagus but me!)

I also try to think of ideas that are fast or that I have used in the past and keep them on my phone in a notepad. I use Quinoa from Trader Joes that you can make in the microwave and add veggies to it! I make it all on Sunday and pre-portion it for lunches so it is ready to go for the week. Total prep time...5 minutes :) 

For snacks, I try to keep them REALLY simple. Like mixed veggies or yogurt. That way there isn't a lot of prep and it saves me time. This is one of my new favorites. 


Just combine greek yogurt, 1 tablespoon of PB and a handful of chocolate chips. SO yummy. Perfect for 3pm. 

#3 - MAKE YOUR LIST 
Last but not least, I only add to my list the ingredients for the week. Nothing else. This probably saves us hundreds of dollars each month not only because we aren't eating out, but we know exactly what we are eating and when and have just enough. I use the app Wunderlist to track our groceries. That way my husband and I can both access it at the store. We have a list for each store (Target, Trader Joes, Grocery etc.) This week our total grocery bill for 4 people with meals for everyone was $152. That averages to about $1.80 a meal for 4 people. Pretty good right? (And this includes organic fruits and veggie!)

It probably takes me 30 minutes or so to plan for the week but the best part is I don't have to think about it again for another 7 days! :) 


Happy meal planning! :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. As a reminder, all opinions on this site are my own.