Pages

Monday, December 21, 2015

Healthy Holiday Travel Tips!

Its that time of year when travel picks up. I have to admit I am not excited about packing (and we aren't even going that far!) but I always follow a few steps to try to stay on track (and on schedule with the twins) the best we can.



Make a list. 
I have a list for everything, but about a week before (or the night before) I start writing things down that cannot be forgotten.  That way when things get hectic I don't have to think!

Pack Snacks. Lots of snacks.
I always pack snacks. Lots of snacks. I pack everything from pre-packed bags of pistachios, to kind bars to apples and string cheese. I stash it in my purse and my suitcase. (For the girls you can never have enough cheerios and cheddar bunnies!)

Pack then unpack.
A little trick my grandma taught me (who was an expert traveler), is to pack everything you need then take half of it out. I know right? But honestly you never really use everything you bring and its ok to re-use. Its so much easier to get around with less luggage. Plus the chances of you having extra things to bring home is pretty high! (For this I always pack a collapsable bag. You can carry it on the plane and check the rest of your items if needed).

Bring caffeine.
Whenever I get tired, my willpower goes out the window. So I bring my favorite tea to distract me from cravings. Plus the holiday travel always requires a little extra energy!

Plan to go off the plan.
Yep, I know am probably going to have 1 extra glass of wine or a few pieces of chocolate so I try to cut back during the day. Eat a smaller breakfast, skip the carbs in the morning and focus on protein.

Keep moving.
All my workouts are streaming online or on my phone. Or I just go out and run. Just pack a good pair of shoes and you are ready to go! If you can pack a yoga mat. If you can't bring shoes a yoga mat makes about any surface useable. The goal is to move just a little extra. You can even call ahead to some hotels and ask them if they have workout gear to borrow or running paths close by.

Drink water!
Stay hydrated. You'll feel more rested, your skin will have a healthy holiday glow and you will feel so much better. The goal should be to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water a day.

Relax.
I'm a huge planner, I have backup plans for backup plans, but this time of the year, its OK to just go with the flow and relax :)  Everything happens for a reason right?

Safe travels and happy holidays!

XO -
Holly


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. As a reminder, all opinions on this site are my own.